Welcome to kickandglide.com’s guide to cross country, backcountry and nordic skiing in the western U.S. Here you will find listings of ski resorts, community groomed areas, backcountry trailheads, ski lodges, backcountry huts and more, with fair (though brief) critical commentary.
- Western Sierra and Southern Cascades Three National Parks and five National Forest provide many touring opportunites.
- Greater Yellowstone and the Tetons From the bubbling geysers to the iconic peaks, this backcountry rewards those looking for adventure.
- Lake Tahoe Summit a peak or ski on miles of groomed trail, this jewel in the sky has something for every level. The views are the reward.
- Eastern Sierra Epic peaks, commanding vistas and natural hotsprings beg for an adventure.
- Oregon The storms roll in from the Pacific and hit the Cascades' chain of volcanic caps leaving behind an abndance of snow.
We are dedicated to enjoying the backcountry on ski or snowshoe. Our mission is to bring you free and user-friendly access to “getting the goods.”
Backcountry adventures in winter are particularly dangerous. Know the risks and recognize the limits of your own abilities. Please access the links on our Education page for more information about safe winter travel.